After care


in Care


We want to support you in making sound financial decisions that are right for you now and for the future, to help you with this:

  • You will have access to a Personal Allowance when you are aged 16-17, not living in foster or residential care and are unable to access public funds. This will continue when you are 18 if you have no recourse to public funds
  • You are entitled to £10 per week pocket money if you are in custody or hospital establishment aged 16-17
  • You may be able to receive Emergency Crisis Payments
  • You will receive rent allowance if you are aged 16-17 for the full cost of your rent or placement costs
  • You will receive Religious Festival Allowance when you are under the age of 18 if you are not living in foster or residential care – this is up to £50 per year. This payment is to be given during the festival period chosen by you such as Ramadan, Hanukkah or Christmas
  • You will be supported to open a bank account
  • You will be supported to have good financial management skills and helped to avoid debt
  • When you are 18 you can get support and information on how to access your Children’s Trust Fund, your Junior ISA and any savings you may have
  • You will be offered opportunities to engage in courses on budgeting skills which could lead to an ASDAN award
  • We will support you to ensure you are receiving your benefit entitlement and offer support if there is delay in accessing this
  • You will have the opportunity to make a claim to the Department for Work and Pensions prior to your 18 birthday to ensure you receive benefit entitlement in a timely manner
  • You can get up to £2,000 Setting Up Home Grant
  • You will be able to receive support for education items when required if you are in Further or Higher Education. This can be up to £120 per year for books, materials, equipment
  • You will receive support to access important documents before your 18 birthday such as your passport, provisional driving license and birth certificate