Health & School


in Care

Your school

What will happen with school?

When you come into care your social worker will do their best to keep you in the same school as they know its important for you to stay with teachers and friends that you know. Sometimes this can’t happen and you may have to move. This could be because you live too far from your own school or you may be in danger if you attend your old school. We would always seek your views before we make this decision.

But if you are being moved from your old school and you don’t know why ask your social worker and they will explain to you. If you are unhappy that you have changed your school you can speak with an Advocate or make a complaint

What’s a designated teacher?

Your designated teacher is someone in school whose job it is to:

  • make sure you and all the other young people in care have the support they need
  • discuss with your teachers and social worker about how you are getting on in school.

Every school has a designated teacher. They are someone you can have chat if you are having any problems in school. To find out who yours is, you can ask your class teacher or tutor or your social worker.

What is a Personal Education Plan (PEP)?

All children and young people in care have to have a PEP. They are a record of how you are getting on at school and helps you, your teacher and social worker set targets about what you want to achieve. Your PEP will be held in your school and will happen in the first month of coming into care and then every 6 months.